BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Backstabber, Hope Grabber, Greedy Little Fit Haver, God I Feel For You, Fool...

Life has been busy, lately, which can either be good or bad. Being busy allows me to get out of the house, learn new things, partake in different experiences and embrace oppurtunities. At the same time, there is such a thing as too busy because there simply is not enough time in the day.

My regular schedule in a week includes school, guitar, homework, dance, soccer practices, work usually 3 days a week and then sleeping. Plus the odd night to socialize. Soccer games start the end of the month, though, and I'm in a play who's opening night is the end of the month, too. And then exams are at the end of June.

It just gets hectic.

A woman used a spoon from the "used teaspoons" glass at work the other day. Not only did that gross me out(I wasn't in the vicinity to tell her "NOO!!!") but it reminded me once again that people do not read. And even the older generations, the more elderly folks, are not exempt from asking, instead of simply looking. I'm sure there are multiple reasons for the lack of left to right eye movement but that doesn't mean we can at least TRY to make an effort to read.

The younger generations these days,(I don't want to sound like a retiree) want everything instantaneously. There's no patience. No respect. No value given towards moments or objects. Texting, msn, iPods, movies and Internet all provide instant gratification. And if it isn't fast enough, well, I think everyone is guilty of complaining that something or someone is too slow. Even downloads, where you can get the latest movie, game, song, etc, before it's even released.

We, as a society, have lost patience because of these advancements in technology. And I'm not saying I'm exempt. I get my text on. I have a new iPod touch which I'm currently writing this blog on. I use the Internet daily. I get annoyed when people drive too slow. I download the occasional movie, or the pop song on the radio. I wonder if the radio is in danger if becoming obsolete. Even with XM or Sirius satellite radio you can quickly change the station.

I'm not against all this technology, nor do I feel it is the only reason for the lack of patience being displayed, but is one if them.

What I'm concerned about is the children in our society. The ones who'd rather watch a movie than read a book. The ones who need whatever they want right at that moment. The ones who don't know the importance of "please" and " thank you" and "you're welcome". The ones who don't care about others. The ones that watch tv, play video games or sit on the computer instead of going outside to learn. The ones that don't want to pay for something they can download. The ones that don't recognize the impact of a polite "hello", an honest "goodbye" and a sincere smile. The ones that don't know how to tell time from a regular wall clock. The ones that don't know what cursive writing is. The ones that use L337 instead of proper english in their writing. The ones that have never seen a vinyl record. The ones that choose to critisize instead of critique. The ones who can't enjoy the simple things in life. The ones who don't embrace the moments but instead wait, tapping their digital watch, for the next one to come.

Those things not only annoy me, but they scare me.

This is why I try to go on my computer only once a week. Try not to instantly switch the song on my iPod. Or why I listen to a full album. Why I go sit at the beach for a couple hours a week. Why I go for walks and watch the sun set. Why I have hundreds of books. Why I say please and thank you and you're welcome. Why I say hello with a smile to strangers on the street.

I also do those things because my mother took the time to teach me.

And because I at least hope that if I feel this way, that there are others who are taken aback or offended when children are not taught how to be respectful.

It just seems lately that there are too many young people who are willing to ride through your dirt piles on their bikes and then boast about it. Too many who tell you how and what you will play with them. And too many that are just obnoxiously impatient.



Posted with LifeCast


0 comments: